When most people think of visiting the dentist, they imagine a typical traditional dental office with drill sounds and fluorescent lighting. However, a growing number of people are seeking out holistic dentists who offer alternative treatments to promote overall health and well-being. Holistic dentistry is a whole-body approach to oral health that considers the impact of dental treatments on the rest of the body. One of the dentists that provide holistic dentistry treatments in West Kelowna BC is
Dr. Shauna Palmer:
“When I do my job properly, people that were afraid or hesitant to smile will be walking around with a perm-grin. As a proud West Kelowna dentist, I would like to help change people’s lives, not just their appearance. My goal and my priority are to help my clients live better, more fulfilled lives. And that starts with taking your smile and making it ‘you’, and the objective to make it better.”
1.Mercury-free dentistry: One of the key principles of holistic dentistry is to avoid the use of toxic materials, such as mercury. Holistic dentists do not use mercury amalgam fillings, which are made up of a mixture of metals that can leach into the body. Instead, they offer alternatives such as composite fillings, porcelain/ceramics and zirconia. Also, they offer safe mercury amalgam removal techniques to reduce exposure to harmful mercury vapors.
2. Fluoride-free dentistry: While many traditional dentists recommend the use of fluoride to prevent tooth decay, some holistic dentists believe that fluoride can be harmful when ingested in large amounts. Holistic dentists may offer alternative treatments for preventing tooth decay, such as remineralization therapies, which use a combination of minerals and vitamins to strengthen teeth.
3. Non-surgical gum disease treatment: Holistic dentists may offer non-surgical treatment options for gum disease, such as ozone therapy or laser therapy. These treatments use non-invasive methods to remove bacteria and promote the healing of the gums.
4. Biological extractions: Holistic dentists may use a biological approach to tooth extractions, which involves removing teeth in a way that preserves the surrounding bone and tissue if at all possible. This can help promote healing and prevent the need for invasive surgical procedures. They also can use ozone during surgery to help prevent infection and promote healing.
5. Nutritional counselling: Holistic dentists may offer nutritional counselling to help patients improve their overall health and well-being. This may include recommendations for dietary changes, supplements, and other lifestyle modifications.
6. Homeopathic remedies: Holistic dentists may use homeopathic remedies to promote healing and relieve pain. For example, they may use Arnica, a homeopathic remedy, to reduce swelling and bruising after dental procedures. Also, ozone treatment can be used for infection and healing as it is antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral and is anti-inflammatory.
7. Airway-focused dentistry: Holistic dentists may also focus on the airway and how it relates to oral health. They may use airway appliances to help patients breathe more easily at night and reduce snoring.
8. Salivary testing: Holistic dentists may also offer salivary testing to evaluate the health of the mouth and body. This testing can help identify imbalances and deficiencies in the body and guide treatment plans.
9. Bio-compatible materials: Holistic dentists may also use bio-compatible materials for dental restorations, such as ceramic and zirconia. These materials are considered safer and more biologically compatible than traditional metal restorations.
10. Laser dentistry: Holistic dentists may also use lasers for various dental procedures, including gum disease treatment, cavity detection, and tooth whitening. Laser dentistry is minimally invasive and can promote faster healing.
11. Some holistic dentists treat TMJ/jaw issues as they are related to headaches, neck, face and shoulder pain, postural problems, dizziness and other symptoms.
12. Last but not least: Oral cancer screening: Oral cancer is a serious and potentially life-threatening disease that affects millions of people around the world. One of the key principles of holistic dentistry is to address not only dental issues but also overall health and well-being, including the prevention and early detection of oral cancer.
Holistic dentists often perform oral cancer screening as part of routine dental check-ups to identify any signs of oral cancer early and prevent the disease from progressing. Oral cancer screening is a non-invasive examination of the mouth, including the head and neck region, lips, gums, tongue, inside of the cheeks, and the roof and floor of the mouth. During the screening, the dentist will look for any abnormalities, such as lumps, red or white patches, sores, or lesions. They may also use special tools, such as a light or a dye, to help identify any suspicious areas.
Holistic dentists may also use a whole-body approach to oral cancer treatment. They may work in collaboration with other healthcare professionals, such as oncologists or naturopathic doctors, to develop a comprehensive treatment plan that addresses not only cancer but also the patient's overall health and well-being.
Holistic dentists like Dr. Shauna Palmer use oral cancer screening as a preventive measure to detect any signs of oral cancer early and promote overall health and well-being. If you're concerned about oral cancer or interested in exploring a more natural and holistic approach to dental care, consider making an appointment with Dr. Shauna Palmer at Health & Beauty Dentistry in West Kelowna.
Holistic dentistry offers a wide range of treatments that promote overall health and well-being. From mercury-free dentistry to nutritional counselling, holistic dentists focus on the whole body and how oral health impacts overall health.
If you'd like to explore a more natural approach to dental care, consider Health & Beauty Dentistry in West Kelowna. Dr. Palmer is a reputable holistic dentist with numerous positive online reviews from happy patients. She can provide you with personalized treatment options that address your individual needs and concerns.
Interested? Make an appointment today!