A holistic dental approach office utilizes several forms of preventative care and treatment, including traditional dentistry techniques and ozone therapy.
Ozone therapy can significantly reduce bacteria, promote healing, and help prevent more invasive dental procedures, such as root canals. Used in conjunction with traditional dentistry, ozone therapy can help improve your overall oral health and offer alternative treatment options for common dental procedures.
What is Ozone Therapy?
Ozone therapy involves the use of ozone, a type of gas that consists of three oxygen atoms. Medically, it is used to treat certain conditions, disinfect an area, and activate the body’s natural immune system.
This form of therapy has been studied and used for its medicinal effects for over 150 years. Ozone therapy has been used to target several medical conditions, including immune disorders, HIV, and breathing-related disorders such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
In dentistry, ozone therapy is used to help prevent common dental issues. It is also used to kill bacteria surrounding a tooth, making ozone therapy an effective treatment for minor levels of tooth decay. As a painless, non-invasive treatment option, ozone therapy is an excellent alternative for patients who experience tooth sensitivity.
Receiving Ozone Therapy at a Kelowna Dentist Office: Knowing Your Options
If you receive ozone therapy, ozone gas will be applied to your gums and teeth to remove bacteria, strengthen your teeth, accelerate remineralization, and prevent the advancement of cavities.
Ozone therapy can be incorporated into several treatment options to help you maintain your oral health, including:
- Tooth sensitivity: It is estimated that one in eight adults may have sensitive teeth. Sensitive teeth can cause you to experience pain to specific triggers, such as sweets, acidic foods, crisp air, hot foods or drinks, and cold foods or beverages. Symptoms may come and go, and they can be mild or severe.
- Under restorations – use while completing fillings and crowns to help disinfect and desensitize the teeth.
- Minor cavities: Ozone therapy can be used to treat small cavities. The gas is applied to an area of tooth decay to eliminate cavity-causing bacteria. Ozone therapy may also have a rejuvenating effect on tooth enamel, which can help strengthen damaged teeth.
- Gum disease: Gum disease has a variety of causes, including poor oral health, smoking, bacteria, and certain medical conditions. This severe type of gum infection can destroy the bone that supports your teeth, leading to more serious oral conditions. Ozone therapy can be used alongside traditional treatment options to remove oral bacteria and promote healing safely.
- Root canal prevention: No one enjoys having a root canal. This procedure is often done to treat deep cavities, cracked teeth, or issues that develop from a previous filling. It can also be used as preventative maintenance of root canalled teeth when injected into the surrounding tissues.
- Disinfect surgical sites to help prevent infections or to help heal existing infections.
- Muscle soreness – trigger point (muscle pain) injections.
The Benefits of Using a Holistic Dental Approach Office
Ozone therapy can be an effective method of treating infection and reducing bacteria, fungi, and yeast. This form of treatment offers a wide variety of benefits, including:
- A minimally invasive alternative treatment option for some types of tooth decay.
- A reduction of the discomfort felt by patients during treatment.
- Minimal patient anxiety.
- The potential avoidance of invasive procedures.
- Effective treatment options for children or patients with tooth sensitivity.
Finding a West Kelowna Dentist That Utilizes Ozone Therapy
At Health and Beauty Dentistry, we use a holistic approach to our dental office in West Kelowna. A holistic approach to dentistry offers a complete focus on prevention and treatment plans, including the use of dental ozone therapy.
For Dr. Shauna Palmer, dentistry is not only her profession but her passion. Dr. Shauna Palmer and her dental team offer several dental services from general oral care to complex, restorative services.
Are you searching for a Kelowna dentist? Are you interested in learning more about ozone therapy? Schedule an appointment with Dr. Palmer now.